When I set-up to start again in the spring, I usually find that I need a simple project to warm up and refresh my techniques before I get involved with something more complex.
Normally it's a bit of a throwaway project that I wouldn't put online, but this one was very simple to create and has been very useful, so I thought that it might be of use to others.
This year I made a wooden mallet as I needed one for leatherwork.
The handle was two strips of pallet wood glued up and shaped around a hammer handle.
The head of the mallet is one of the end blocks, also from a pallet.
|The finished mallet. Simple, but effective|
The technique is simple - drill through the centre of the block to create an opening that the top of the handle can fit through, but is narrow enough to make a tight fit.
Then drill through the part of the handle that protrudes from the top of the block and wedge a dowel in place to prevent the block from slipping. (The block is actually a tight enough fit that this is a little bit unnecessary, but it adds an extra layer of safety, and a bit more of an aesthetic quality to things).
Everything after that is just a matter of sanding and shaping.